48 Hour Film Project
This year, Vidzu Media and it’s second-year team – “Green Eggs & Cams” – once again embarked on the seemingly-impossible task of creating a short film in a mere 48 hours.
That’s right, start to finish / wall to wall / script to screen / and any other catchphrase you can think of. We had a lot of work to do, and in the case of the 48 Hour Film Project – St. Louis, we had very little time to do it.
If you’re reading this post, you’re probably familiar with the way 48 Hour Film Projects work, but here’s a quick recap:
You receive your assignment at approximately 7p on Friday night and 48 hours later at approximately 7p on Sunday night you must turn in the finished product.
Every team gets a handful of “assignments” and they are random from year to year. This year the required elements were:
- Character: Tyler or Tina Terrello, flooring specialist
- Prop: cheese grater
- Line: “She’s the only one who can answer that.”
And what might be the most important assignment – your GENRE. Every team gets to draw their own random genre and this year our team ventured into uncharted territory with SCI-FI.
Here’s a brief rundown of how OUR 48 hours went:
- Friday night, 7p – midnight(ish) – BRAINSTORM
- Midnight(ish) – morning(ish) – WRITE
- Saturday morning, 7a – Saturday night, 9p – SHOOT
- Also Saturday, 12p – Saturday night(ish) – BEGIN EDIT
- Late Saturday night – Sunday morning – EDIT, EDIT, EDIT
- Sunday morning, 10a – 6p – EDIT, VFX, EDIT, SOUND DESIGN, EDIT
- Sunday, 5p – 6:51p – PAPERWORK, RENDER, RENDER, DRIVE, DROPOFF
Here’s a behind-the-scenes view of the process, shot and edited by Vidzu’s 2017 summer intern, Daniel von Seckendorff…
Flash forward two weeks and our team – “Green Eggs & Cams” – and our film – “The Specialist” – won a few awards:
- Best Visual Effects
- Best Musical Score
- Best Actress (Alexandria Kisart)
Oh yes, and…
- OVERALL BEST FILM – ST. LOUIS!!!
We’re proud and honored to represent St. Louis at Filmapalooza in 2018. Thanks to Cinema St. Louis,Urban Chestnut Brewing Company andThe Tivoli Theatre, among many other supporters of this awesome event.
Thanks to our amazing actors – Gregory ‘spoonie’ Sporleder, Ford Fanter and the amazing Alexandria Kisart!
Thanks to our amazing crew – Levi Kirby, Josh Guffey, Kyle Dufendach, Amanda Smith, Mitch Myers, TJ DiFrancesco, Austin Baumgartner, Daniel von Seckendorff, Allison Schmidt, John Launius and Bethany Schmit!
And special thanks for support to Keith Alper and CPG Agency!
Without further ado, please enjoy “The Specialist.”